Once upon a time, I had a mini series called ‘Travel Confessions,’ and by mini series I mean I wrote three posts and then called it a day. Not entirely sure why I stopped, but here we are.
Now that some time has passed, and by some time I mean two years, I thought I would revisit my travel confessions and share some more. So here are 10 of my top travel confessions.
I’m a superstitious flyer
It’s true. I am a superstitious flyer. There’s something I quietly do before every single flight because it makes me feel better. I know if I think about it logically it probably doesn’t make sense, but I don’t care. I do it anyway. Maybe I’ll share what “it” actually is one day :)
I’m a low-key nervous flyer
Most definitely related to the above confession is the fact that I’m a low-key nervous flyer. I say low-key because most of the time I probably look fine but then if we hit a particularly bad patch of turbulence, you’ll probably find me gripping the seat for life or staring out the window at the clouds because for some reason that also makes me feel better.
I love long red-eye flights
I hate long day-time flights, but I love long red-eye flights. It’s not even that I sleep really well or anything, but I just love when the lights go dark and the plane is almost completely silent, like an airplane sleepover. I even have a specific red-eye flight that I love. The 1 a.m. Cathay Pacific flight from Newark to Hong Kong is my jam.
I hate paying full price for my travels (and will try my hardest not to)
My family will be the first to tell you I can be a frugal (read: cheap) lady. Not about everything but about a number of things. I just don’t like paying full price, particularly for travel because I know I can find a great deal or use miles and points somehow to offset the cost. It’s a constant game of “find the best travel value” that I love to play.
I don’t like beach vacations
So, I love a good beach. I really do. But I don’t like beach vacations, and by that I mean places where the only thing to do is sit on the beach. That does not sound that appealing to me. Some people dream about going to a beach, basking in the sun and doing nothing all day, every day. Me? After two to three hours on the beach, I’m ready to go. Or, I'm that person that's walking up and down looking for something else to do. Give me variety any day.
I never have nor will I ever be into backpacking
Sometimes it feels like backpacking is seen as a more “authentic” type of traveling. As though roughing it, hitching rides or crashing on couches gives you a more real sense of a place. Well, that’s all well and good for backpackers, but I’m not nor will I ever be doing that kind of travel (if I can help it). I think everyone has their personal preferences and that is not mine. At the end of the day, do what works for you.
I am always testing how late I can arrive at the airport (and it’s never a good idea)
I’ve written before about how I regularly almost miss my flights. Since that post, I feel like I’ve gotten better, mostly because I now have Priority Pass and am more likely to arrive early to seek out a lounge. Otherwise, I’m usually trying to get to the airport at the last possible minute, and something inevitably happens that turns it into a stressful experience and yet I do it again anyway. Sigh...
I don’t like talking to people on flights
I like to think of myself as an extroverted introvert about 80% of the time. The other 20%, I don’t want people bothering me and that almost always includes when I’m flying. That’s not to say I won’t chat with people. I had a great conversation with a woman on a recent flight, but my default is to keep to myself and enjoy the form of entertainment I brought with me.
I’m addicted to points and miles
A few years ago, I would get excited when I would fly somewhere and earn a few meager points. Oh, how little I knew. Now? I continuously seek out how to earn points and miles. I crave them. And I know it goes back to me loving a travel deal. Points and miles have completely enabled me to travel so much more, and I don’t see myself getting tired of acquiring them anytime soon.
I’m a selfish traveler
I had this thought the other day when someone asked me recently about my interest in traveling to a specific place that I wasn’t particularly interested in visiting: I can be a pretty selfish traveler. It’s not that I didn’t want to go to that place but it wasn’t at the top of my list. I do sometimes compromise when traveling with others, but more often than not, I’m focused on going to the places I really want to go to and everything else can wait. Sorry not sorry?
So now that I’ve made myself sound like an all-around lovely, social, beach-loving, unselfish, overly generous traveler, how about you? What are some of your travel confessions?